Thursday 26 February 2009

Renewing your insurance and road tax - online, yes, in Malaysia the bolehland country.

When I was in Manchester from 2002-2007, I had always used online services to buy/renew my car insurance. Most if not all the time trouble-free. But I still need to drop by the post office to renew my tax, queuing up behind those people trying to withdraw their weekly allowance/council benefit. When I got back to Kuala Lumpur, it did not come across my mind that in Malaysia, you could do all these online.

After twice renewing my insurance & tax the normal way, by going to an agent or direct to the head office of the insurance company, yesterday, I tried to do it the fast way .. online with minimal charges. I was contemplating either to renew my insurance online and then go to post office to renew my tax.. but then again, there is this myeg (does it stands for my-e-government??) which could actually do this for me without leaving my home-office.

Getting a quote wasn't that hard and it seems that it is standard.. just fill in how much the value of your car. To get an indication, you could try this website:


Next, go to either myeg or any insurance companies that have presence on the net and allow you to renew/buy insurance online .. and do the transaction. I chosen myeg since it says that it is secure to do the transaction online. I went to motortakaful.com and found out even when they said that they've secure site, the information that you need to fill up still in the non-secure website.

After I got quotation for both, my car and my wife's car, went ahead and paid through online too. Everything went smooth, print out the receipts and the cover notes and went ahead to renew the tax online too (btw, I did it one car at a time). There is an option to get the fuel rebate online too .. what the heck, did not cost me time .. only a fraction of the rebate (RM1.XX don't remember - fees for processing the rebate), so, filled up all the required fields and paid. This is done within few minutes. For those who're doing this for multiple cars, you might get a call from your credit card centre, as I did .. enquiring if I've done such transactions.

Now, time to wait for my tax stickers to come by Pos Laju I guess. But someone called from myeg this morning asking if he could deliver my tax stickers today. Wow, that was fast.. I was expecting that I'll get it by tomorrow. If everything goes smooth, than I'll recommend myeg, but if not .. you'll see me updating this blog again and surely will suggest otherwise.

Will keep you guys updated.

UPDATE:

Got my tax stickers today.. both of them.. efficient .. hopefully I don't have problem like others are having after this.

No comments:

Calling MS SQL Stored Procedure from ABAP

One of the few things sometime coming up in your ticket request. Calling stored procedure from ABAP to remote SQL server.  How do we send th...