Skip to main content

Posts

Showing posts from September, 2009

Upgrading Buffalo LS2 to kernel 2.6

Somehow, I managed to screw up my OpenLink/Debil/Debian installation on my aging Buffalo Linkstation2 while trying to get a newly bought Brother HL-2140 work with it. Somehow, the repository contains the latest lenny code which broke the dependencies and the only way I could resolve the problem is by upgrading to latest kernel 2.6 and have FreeLink/u-boot/Lenny combination.
It took me quite a while to get everything working and I'm yet to get the samba etc. work yet. Up to now, I've 2.6 working with u-boot. Thanks to the experts in NAS-Central forum, u-boot works perfectly the first time, but initially, the 2.6 kernel won't boot. Spent few hours googling on the net trying to find the solution and finally found that I need to compile fix_ext2_magic and run it to fix the /dev/hda1 partition.
Nice links & how-tos to start with:
http://endy.blogomat.net/?p=112 http://buffalo.nas-central.org/wiki/Project_2.6_mips
What in the to-do list for the next few days:
1. Get SAMBA working…

Tracker2 + LCD and poor decoding

I do sometime clear up the Favourite from my Nuvi350 but it left me wondering why it took so many packets before a single callsign pop-up in the Favourite list. Wonder no more .. after I added an LCD module to my setup I found out that most of the incoming packets were not recognised by Tracker2 eventhough they came with a very strong signal. I have no idea if this has to do with configuration or purely hardware problem. I've a TT4 which could decode most if not all packets it received but surely I need to tweak the configuration. In Tracker2 firmware, I could not find a way to do this. BTW, TT4 is connected to a Yaesu HT through an audio cable while the Tracker2 is connected to a Kenwood TMV71A through a data cable. I've played around with the audio level going through the PR1 pin on the Kenwood but it doesn't help much.

Anyway, since it is hard to get a suitable enclosure for the LCD display, I just epoxy-ed the exposed parts & traces on the LCD and 3M-ed it to my ca…