Skip to main content

Upgrading Buffalo LS2 to kernel 2.6

Somehow, I managed to screw up my OpenLink/Debil/Debian installation on my aging Buffalo Linkstation2 while trying to get a newly bought Brother HL-2140 work with it. Somehow, the repository contains the latest lenny code which broke the dependencies and the only way I could resolve the problem is by upgrading to latest kernel 2.6 and have FreeLink/u-boot/Lenny combination.

It took me quite a while to get everything working and I'm yet to get the samba etc. work yet. Up to now, I've 2.6 working with u-boot. Thanks to the experts in NAS-Central forum, u-boot works perfectly the first time, but initially, the 2.6 kernel won't boot. Spent few hours googling on the net trying to find the solution and finally found that I need to compile fix_ext2_magic and run it to fix the /dev/hda1 partition.

Nice links & how-tos to start with:

What in the to-do list for the next few days:

1. Get SAMBA working and reinstate all accounts
2. Get lightttpd/php5/postgress working
3. Get torrentflux working
4. Get cups working with the new laser printer

Update 1: Okay, I screwed up big time. I f***ed-up the installation. The LS2 rebooted every 10-15 minutes for no reason after I upgraded to Lenny. But the following discussion saved me .. (after hours trying to find the reason why ...)

Another problem I faced, after screwing up another time .. I did format the partition .. guess am just unlucky .. u-boot couldn't read the partition .. yet the above discussion save me another time ..


1. Couldn't boot up kernel 2.6, solution .. need to run fix_ext2_magic (might need to recompile yourself)
2. LS2 rebooting itself for no reason, remove ntpd package and install openntpd instead.
3. U-boot couldn't read your /dev/hda1, probably you've created a new filesystem with larger inode size .. use 128 instead ..

Update 2: Adventure begins ...!! Somehow, the aging HD in the LS2 showing a bad sign .. bad sectors found in the first partition .. the HD has served me well for over 5 years now. Probably I made it worst by plugging and unplugging it from my PC. Checking the price & capacity for an IDE drive .. most shops carry the max 500GB and the price is .. guess .. the same as 1TB/SATA.

Guess where I went first? Yes .. EBAY :) Looking for SATA to IDE converter and found one that might work here:

Will update further when I got the adapter and hopefully it will fit perfectly inside the LS2 enclosure.

Update 3: I received the adapter but I broke the ribbon cable while trying to tight-fit the adapter+SATA drive into the LS2 enclosure .. I don't have any crimper that I could use .. and probably not a good idea either since the header makes the overall length longer and I probably will break it once more. One option is to desolder the header on both the adapter and LS2 and replace it with 5 short CAT-6 cables soldered directly to the LS2 board and the adapter. But ughh.. 40 pins each to desolder and resolder.. probably will do it when I've got time. For now, probably need to reuse the old Dell GX60 that I've as a NAS replacement. I've got another adapter which I could use inside the Dell.. until I've time to do the desoldering/resoldering .. GX60 will be my next thrashing victim :)


9W2PJU said…
haha, torrentflux is cool.
but torrentflux-b4rt is better.
9W2TPT said…
He..hee.. bro .. I had torrentflux-b4rt before .. so that is the one going to the LS2 again this time .. :)

Popular posts from this blog

Raspberry Pi + svxlink = Low power echolink node

What is the easiest way to get echolink node up and running on raspberry pi? Surely, get a premade image which has everything inside. I've created one image which can fit into 2GB SD card for this, just follow the following steps to get it up and running:

For hardware, you need to have the following:
Raspberry Pi for sure, with a minimum 4GB SD cardA USB echolink interface, can be commercially sourced or DIY. There are many DIY schematics out there that you could follow.  Here is the configuration on how to get the things working together, courtesy of website:

For software:
Download the following prepared image from google drive, it is based on raspbian-2015-02-16 image and has pre-installed svxlink-14.08. raspi-wheezy-svxlink.img.zipUnzip the file and copy it to your SD card using the following instructions that can be found here.Boot up the RasPi, if you do not have an HDMI monitor, you may want to access the RasPi from your terminal emulator (putty or the like), connec…

Configuring TechniColor TG784N V3 (Maxis issued broadband router) to use different DNS servers

Previous write up deleted. It seems to change the DNS servers in as shown on the status, but it does not really work.

Check the following website, this seems to work:

This can be done from the WEB GUI too, go into the following configuration path:

In my example above, I'm using paid service unblock-us instead of google public DNS servers.

Debugging DMEE

I've come across many posting on the Internet (via google search), people asking on how to debug a DMEE for payment program. One of the few suggestion was to create a user exit just before the node that we would like to debug and put our breakpoint there. It seems that SAP has built-in this feature without needing us to create a user exit (available in ECC 6, have no idea if this is available on prior releases). Here is how you can put your breakpoint without any coding.

1. Display your DMEE tree using transaction: DMEE_DEBUG.

2. Click on the node that you would like to debug.
3. Go to conditions tab, you could see the Set Breakpoint button. Click to set.

4. Run the SAPFPAYM and specified the payment run date/id, payment format etc. SAP will stop at the node which you point your breakpoint at, as in 2.
5. To remove your breakpoint, just run the DMEE_DEBUG again, there is an option to delete all own breakpoints or all.