Thursday 16 May 2013

MODIFICATION: Embedding GPS into TMD710A's head unit

My Garmin NUVI 350 has been intermittently giving me a problem which I believe caused by the power connector. For some reason, slight movement will cause the NUVI to loose it power. So, I'm retiring my NUVI, will still use it for day-to-day navigational (sourcing the power from the right side connector) and I've embedded a GPS module inside my TMD710A's head unit instead.

It is a straight forward project, that is after I did some "research" on the net and found few who've done it before. I based my mod from the this website: http://sq3fyk.com/?page_id=23

Here are the photos taken from the mod.

1. Scarifying my PS/2 serial GPS. Removed the casing, we're interested on the inner module which has both, the antenna & GPS receiver module.


2. Fully stripped, no only bare module & pig tails connector, left a good length of wires for the mod.


3. Trying to find the best place based on the website that I referred to, but decided that I don't want to loose the speaker.


4. Stripping the head unit, the volume & menu buttons etc, put them all into a safe container.


5. Okay, found the best place to stick the GPS, hopefully it won't fry the chip below it.


6. All wired ..  you can visit the website mentioned above on where the connection needs to be done.


7. Test it first before putting back the casing .. everything seems to work, no short-circuit.. :)


8. Done! Tested working, has been few months now.


No comments:

Calling MS SQL Stored Procedure from ABAP

One of the few things sometime coming up in your ticket request. Calling stored procedure from ABAP to remote SQL server.  How do we send th...